Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ode to Alf ... with kewl picture of Bonnaroo

This is sort of cheating, because I wrote this as part of a post on another blog about folks I love -- Lady Gaga came before Alf -- but it seemed especially fitting for a Local Music blog, so I'm re-posting it. SUE ME.

(The only other cool thing going on is that I'm going to see F.O.E. tonight at The Fox in Boulder. You know how I feel about F.O.E.!)

So ... anyway. Onward. This is my Ode to Alf at KTCL. He's the guy who does Locals Only.

Here you go. ...

Alf from KTCL

Like I used to run home from the bus stop to watch MTV with the girl across the street, Stacey Barnett. (And if you ever Google yourself and hit on this blog entry, Stacey, please know that I found a pic of you on Google and, GIRL YOU LOOK FABULOUS. Really. You do. And I wouldn't just say that.)

Anyhoo. Tonight Alf said something about this Culture Club video and how it made him think of eating cereal in front of MTV.

I like other things about him, too. He's a local -- so we've got that, too. Except he is a "Creeker" who graduated in '88. And I graduated from Boulder High School in 1987. Same year as Ms. Stacey Barnett, who has a swimming pool in her backyard. (Sorry, Stacey. I'm a librarian. Who used to work in newspapers. That and I'm nosy.)

Alf is an educated person. And educated in mathematics and Asian religion, to boot. That's just cool.

And he is "out." If there is one thing to love, it is an out person.

So. Anyway. You're cool, Alf. I always, always want to call in a song for your Sunday night retro show but feel like you'll think whatever song I choose is a cliche. Like "Wishing" by FOS or "Windows" by Missing Persons.

But, Alf my brother, you sound pretty unassuming and cool, so that could just be me being my freaky self.

I also like your Locals Only. That's great. You turned it from a show that no one wanted to host to a show that can help break a local act.

So, um, Alfie: If you are ever Googling yourself for kicks and you happen to read every single result and hit on this blog entry, would you please play the two songs I mentioned -- just some random Sunday -- during your retro show?

Thanks, my brother.

Peace out.

1 comment: